Monday 25 February 2013

A Big Value In A Small Thing

In this program, we are required to have 100 hours minimum of volunteer. I have no idea at all about this thing before. I was like how can people want to do a hundred hours doing something to someone else without being paid? 1 or 2 hours will still make sense to me.

But here comes this moment, after a hard time of doing it I realize the good value of volunteer. The moment when I feel like a thunder strikes me or someone slap me. The moment when snapping fingers really mean something. I know why we want to do this. I know why I want to do this. It's because of the leader.  A good role model and example, and that is something that has been spreading to almost of the people here. That what makes volunteering sounds easy and fun.

We were cleaning the Chinatown campus not so long ago. And there I got my thunder strike and a hand slap that woke me up and made me see. We were cleaning with the real leader - our program coordinator, Kenneth Lee and the Dean of International Student, Dr. Minh-Hoa Ta. These wonderful people didn't even have to bother clean the campus building. They could've been sitting in their house and enjoy the sunny Sunday. That's not their job anyway, but they did that. Man, here you can see a Dean cleaning a building. She could've just ask someone to come and clean the building, or just us the ones who clean it to fulfill our volunteering hour. But no! she didn't do that. We cleaned together. And that's the real leader - be the first person in line and show how volunteer can be such a great thing to do. And don't forget to praise what your man has done, just like almost all people do here. They like to praise and sometimes I feel like too much :)

I hope this volunteer spirit lingers in me. The spirit to serve your community and become a good leader, so everyone can see a great value inside a small thing.

These are some documentations from our volunteer. I don't have Dr. Ta's picture :(



The man in this pic is our program coordinator Ken Lee





2 comments:

  1. hihi. baru kena virusnya volutnarism si Mahdy. :) semangat Mahdy!

    ReplyDelete